The Apostolic Faith Church of God, Live On, INC., was born from the mother church which was called the Apostolic Faith Church of Handsome, VA. This church was identified with the Pentecostal Union, but later the leaders began to study the doctrinal teachings of Sam Drewery on sanctification and holiness and a life free of all sin. During the time of the early stages of the holiness churches in Virginia, there were no Elders and Missionaries setup in the church. But as time moved on, in the year 1905, there was a mighty move of the Holy Spirit in Virginia. Mother Mattie Branch was one of the first to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This powerful move of God was strange to many people and it needed to be identified. Some had heard of the same thing happening in California so they sent for a man by the name of Bishop William Seymore from Los Angeles, California to come out and shed some light on this event. He brought the doctrine of holiness when he came. When he arrived, he did not have access to a church to hold his meetings but he set up meetings in bush harbors where he would preach and teach the Gospel. He also set up home prayer meetings. In these meetings people were saved, filled with the Holy Ghost, and spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
During that time, there were three men whose names were Charles W. Lowe, Willie R. Rose, and Edd Evans who decided to build a church in the community of Handsome and call it the Apostolic Faith Church, known today as the Rose Of Sharon Worship Center. In the latter part of 1905, the late Elder Charles Lowe, being the owner of some land in Handsome, which was called the “Hands Farm” across the swamps, decided to build a church. They built the Apostolic Faith Church and left Elder Rose as pastor. In 1926, God moved upon Elder Rose to start another church, which is known today as the East End Church of Franklin, VA, where Bishop Steve Willis now pastors. The pastorship of the Apostolic Faith church was left in the capable hands of the Late Bishop Willie P. Cross.
As the Mother church, Rose of Sharon, went through changes and growth, so did the body of churches that she gave birth to. Bishop Seymour helped organize this church body and it was affiliated with the Apostolic Faith Mission in Los Angeles. Bishop Seymour did set Bishop Charles Lowe as the leader of the daughter organization known as the Apostolic Faith Church Of God.
In the year of 1952 a few pastors found it necessary to appoint Elder Jesse Handshaw Sr. as Senior Bishop, along with Vice Bishop W. P. Cross and Elder R. T. Butts as the General Overseer. We were then organized as the Apostolic Faith Church Of God, Live On.